Monday, January 20, 2014

Singing Egg Guts

I hate to even admit this publicly and I often get mocked by my mother for it, but what kind of blogger would I be if I didn't share my own stupidity? You may wonder why I am sharing it at all, but it will all make sense in the end. So here goes:
 
I was about seven or eight years old when I decided that it would be cool to play with an egg. The thought never crossed my mind that I might drop it. In that moment, I was invincible and I was going to prove it by playing with an egg without making a mess. I'm sure you know where this is going. I didn't even get the refrigerator door closed before the egg slipped from my fingers and gravity took over. As it turns out, I realized I am not invincible as I looked at the floor and saw a pile of egg guts laying there singing, "Somebody's in trouble!" Well, ok...the guts weren't singing, but that's how I felt. I knew I was in trouble and all I wanted to do was hide. 
 
Instead, denial took over and I simply walked away. I was fully prepared to blame my grandmother for breaking an egg and leaving the mess on the floor. Unfortunately, my mother was too smart for that. She knew I was the culprit and immediately called me to come to her when she found the mess. She said, "Christy, did you make this mess?" With all the bravery I could muster, I put on my best "I'm confused. Where am I?" face and said, "Ummmm....I don't remember."
 
Hey! It's all I could come up with at the time. Give me a break! Well, at least you can see why my mom still mocks me to this day. I guess I deserved it.
 
Have you ever felt like that, though, in the grown up world? Have you ever just felt like you wanted to hide and let someone else cover for you? I know I have. We have so many challenges to face in this world and God knew that we'd need help. I drew this picture many years ago when I felt like I wanted to hide in Jesus from the dangers of this world. I'm no artist, but you get the idea.
 
 
18 We know that those who have been made God’s children do not continue to sin. The Son of God keeps them safe. The Evil One cannot hurt them. 19 We know that we belong to God, but the Evil One controls the whole world. 20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding. So now we can know the one who is true, and we live in that true God. We are in his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the true God, and he is eternal life. - 1 John 5:18-20
 

Since we belong to God, He will keep us safe from the evil one. The devil is limited in what he can do because we are IN Jesus much like the picture above reveals. This becomes our new identity. Many times in the Bible, we come across the words "in Christ" as it is talking about the new identity of believers. This is what I think of now, when I read those passages.
 
As we face the evil, stress, sin, temptation, and the traps of this world, we can remember that this is how we face them. IN Jesus. We are guarded by the very Son of God! My prayer is that you will feel empowered by that today.
 
Just don't test it out on an egg.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Know someone who needs to read this blog? Feel free to share it using the buttons below. Thanks for sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment